Problem that technology is supposed to solve :
- To improve Niger's agricultural production by increasing from one cereal harvest per year to three harvests, including two in the middle of the dry season.
- Significantly increase the income of producers
- Charting new paths and solutions to food insecurity
- Mitigating the effects of food crises, thus combating famine in Niger
Technical characteristics of the technology :
- Field of application: cultivation of Sorghum SEPON 82 (ICRISAT/INDE) in the Preferential Growing Area (rainfall in mm) 400 to 700
- Sowing-maturity cycle Intermediate 85-95 d
- Grain yield (in T/ha) 2.5-4 T/ha in station0.5-2.5 T/ha in farming area
- Hulling yield 64%.
- Resistance to enemies Slightly susceptible to elongated charcoal; susceptible to grain moulds and ear bugs.
- Weight of 1,000 grains (g) 12-20
- Plant size (m) 1,5-1,7
- Compact Panicles
- Elliptical and semi-compact shape
- Length (cm) 25
- Width (cm) 7
- Creamy white grain
- Good fodder quality, high yield; and very good in terms of animal feed quality
- Possibility of 2 harvests during the dry season from October to May.
- Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)
Economic characteristics of the technology
- Acquisition cost :
- Economic profitability :
- Comparative advantage :
Limits of the technology :