Problem that technology is supposed to solve :
- To enhance increase in production and productivity of upland rice farming in Sierra Leone.
- Improve the livelihood of resource poor farmers
Technical characteristics of the technology :
- High yielding and drought resistant
- Good cooking and eating quality
- Keeping quality
- Resistant to diseases (leaf scald, brown spot, leaf blast)
- ROK 16 is moderately resistant to bird damage
- All the NERICA varieties are early maturing (100-110 days)
Economic characteristics of the technology
- Acquisition cost :
The cost of acquisition is approximately $25000 – 35000
- Economic profitability :
- Increase farmers yields and productivity
- Increase farmers livelihood.
- Access to quality and improved seeds
- Comparative advantage :
The improved varieties generated are superior to the later varieties interm of high yielding, quality, resistance to biotic and abiotic stresses.
Limits of the technology :
- Lack of adequate funds to disseminate technologies generated to end users.
- Lack of funds to multiply improved technologies generated
- Lacks the necessary logistics required in the technology generation